Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Let's get this party started!

Well, since I blogged about training for my first marathon (back in 2006), I thought it only appropriate to blog about training for my second marathon too. It's been so long since my first marathon, that this second marathon is practically a first. If that makes any sense. (I suspect it doesn't)

A bit of background for those who don't already know: I'm planning to run the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati on May 2. Why the Flying Pig? Well, I love Cincinnati (I used to live there in my college co-op days). And they have a cool medal (double-sided, with a pig-butt on the back!). And the crowd support is supposed to be phenomenal. And it's hilly.

Wait. What?

Hilly?

Why would anyone want to run a hilly marathon? Well, I want to develop a new appreciation for hills. I don't want to be afraid of them. I want to embrace them. Okay, maybe "embrace" is a strong word. How about "tolerate"? And, well, I love a good challenge. I don't expect to set any land-speed records with this marathon (or any marathon, for that matter), but I do hope to beat my previous marathon time (6:29 - this, hopefully, should not be too difficult to beat), and have a lot of fun.

Below is the elevation profile for the Flying Pig Marathon. It looks like one big hill, but there are supposedly lots of rolling hills throughout the entire 26.2 miles. BRING IT!



Several of my friends and my husband will be there too, running the various Flying Pig events, ranging from 5k to half-marathon. Apparently, I'm the only one crazy enough to attempt the full marathon.

So, there are currently 11 1/2 weeks left until the Flying Pig Marathon. I'm well into my training, but I thought now was a good time to start documenting the trials, tribulations, achievements, and amusements of my journey. Stay tuned for the next entry, coming soon, highlighting my training schedule.

1 comment: