Friday, August 13, 2010

What happens at FAST stays at FAST....

So if you want to know about my discussion with two of the elder members of FAST regarding blackened sausages and Slim Jims, you'll just have to come to FAST sometime and find out for yourself. These FAST members, whose minds are lodged firmly in the gutter, have asked to remain anonymous, so I won't tell you that one of them is a cute little Asian woman and the other is running the Pikes Peak Marathon soon. *looks shifty*

It was good to be back at FAST last night. It's been a rather interesting week. First of all, I didn't go to FAST on Tuesday night. *gasp* I know, I know - inconceivable!!! There were several reasons: I wasn't feeling so great, the heat index was 104° and I needed to get home early to pack for a business trip. So I took my workout indoors to the treadmill and I got a fabulous workout from my other coach, Coach Sean O'Malley. I don't think I've ever mentioned Cardio Coach in my blog before and it's high time I do. Cardio Coach provides guided cardio workouts via MP3, which you just load onto your iPod and listen to as you work out. They can be used on the treadmill, elliptical, spin bike, stairstepper, or even outdoors. Anyone who finds the treadmill boring (pretty much everyone) needs to try a Cardio Coach workout - it makes the time fly right by. I did Volume 7, which is about an hour long, and it was over before I knew it. Coach Sean is motivating and down-to-earth, and the music, which is made especially for these workouts by composer Todd Washburn, is incredible. As an added bonus for the ladies (and maybe for some guys too), Coach Sean is dreamy. So there's my shameless Cardio Coach plug - just go to the website, download a workout and try it. Trust me. You'll love it.

Now, onto that business trip I mentioned. I don't travel for work very frequently, which I consider a good thing. But sometimes it's nice to get away from the office and visit a customer or a supplier. In this case, it was a supplier visit. And this supplier is located in the town of Pigeon, Michigan, which is in the "thumb" of the lower peninsula. We actually stayed overnight in the nearby town of Bad Axe since Pigeon doesn't really have any hotels. As you can imagine, both towns are pretty much in the middle of nowhere. However, Bad Axe has a cool name and their high school mascot, The Hatchets, is equally cool. Naturally, I bought myself a Bad Axe Hatchets t-shirt, and got t-shirts for my husband and Coach Brad. I also got this picture:



Oh yeah, and we had a good meeting with our supplier too, working on cost reduction stuff, blah blah blah.

I got home from Pigeon/Bad Axe (or should I say Bad Axe/Pigeon? because it almost sounds like Bad-Ass Pigeon, which would be a good name for a band) on Thursday afternoon, just in time to go home, change my clothes and head to FAST. It was 106° outside and I was a bit dehydrated from my day of traveling, so I knew I wasn't going to be pushing my limits. But I at least wanted to get my legs moving after a long day of sitting in a car and on a plane. Little did I know I would also end up laughing my ass off during a discussion of composite meat products.

Even if I could tell you why it was so funny, it probably wouldn't sound nearly as funny in a blog post. It was one of those "you had to be there" things. The end result of all the hilarity was that we ran nearly 5.5 miles in 106° heat without even realizing it. And that is one of the best things about FAST. Sure we get expert coaching and customized training plans. But we also get a team, who is like an extended family. We laugh together, we cry together, we get angry together, and we celebrate victories together. We are a team.

There is no "I" in TEAM... but there is MEAT. And if anyone cares to join us, we will be continuing our discussion of blackened sausages and Slim Jims next week.

Peace. Love. Train.

No comments:

Post a Comment